Merseyrail are looking for an exceptional marketer, who has the ability to be creative and commercial, innovative, has attention to detail and the ability to lead a team.
The successful candidate must be able to operate at a senior level within an organisation and most importantly have the tenacity to always deliver results.
The Head of Marketing & Revenue Growth role is varied and offers a variety of opportunities for an experienced marketer to showcase their abilities and lead a high-performing team.
During 2023, as well as delivering a range of multi-media campaigns to drive revenue growth, Merseyrail’s marketing department will deliver a new website and refreshed app, there are plans to modernise retail which will require involvement from the Head of Marketing & Revenue Growth and the marketing department will play a key role in the delivery of major events taking place in the city region including the Grand National Festival, Eurovision and The Open Golf.
The right candidate will have:
- A minimum of 5 years marketing experience.
- People management experience.
- To lead the development and delivery of optimised revenue generating marketing strategies, driving growth through the acquisition of new passengers and the retention of existing passengers. Campaign activity must be insight-led, targeted, measurable and demonstrate a strong return on investment (ROI).
- Identify new audiences and develop targeted strategies to attract them to the Merseyrail network.
- Ensure creative and media budgets are optimised to deliver the best possible ROI.
- Lead the partnership strategy for the business, including negotiating partnership terms and investment, ensuring contra obligations are met, any spend is optimised, all activity is measured, and relationships are maintained.
- Work with key partners on major events such as The Grand National Festival and other significant sporting, entertainment or visitor events to attract new passengers to the Merseyrail network and ensure existing customers have the best possible experience whilst travelling.
- Drive the digital strategy for Merseyrail, ensuring revenue growth activity and passenger communication campaigns are enhanced through optimised digital activity and channels are continually developed to keep them innovative, relevant and engaging.
- Lead in the delivery of passenger communications to ensure accurate and useful information is made available to Merseyrail passengers during planned and unplanned service disruption. This includes working in partnership with other Heads of Departments who have involvement with passenger information.
- Ensure new functionalities, technologies and innovations are considered and introduce when appropriate to better engage audiences, improve user experience and enhance passenger insights.
- Lead the data and insight strategy to ensure that all marketing activity is evidence based, upcoming risks and opportunities are identified, target audiences and passenger profiles are clearly understood.
- Utilise third party research to better understand passenger behaviour, opinions & external markets.
- Share any insights that can help improve other areas of the business with relevant departments.
- Oversee the development and delivery of the Mtogo marketing strategy to drive footfall and profit margins from stores.
- Lead the development of marketing campaigns and passenger communication activity for transformational initiatives such as the New Fleet of trains and smart ticketing.
- Work with the Senior Revenue Analyst to provide high quality, short- and long-range revenue forecasts – monitoring economic and social developments in the region which may impact revenue performance and providing insights to the rest of the business to aid revenue growth.
- Work with the Senior Revenue Analyst to develop the passenger revenue strategy, including any revenue opportunities and risks, optimised annual fare increases and pricing strategies, and using appropriate forecasting tools and models to ensure that macro factors are considered.
- Deliver weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual revenue reporting, ensuring the business is aware of any changes, trends, or other factors affecting revenue performance.
- Strengthen relationships with Merseytravel, ensuring concessionary obligations are met and opportunities to work in partnership to deliver strategic objectives are maximised.
- Lead in the management of agencies and freelancers including creative, brand, digital and event. Ensuring appropriate resources are procured and retained through management and evaluation.
- Develop relationships with external parties to create and maximise opportunities to grow revenue through destination marketing opportunities and to improve passenger experience.
- Establish links with counterparts at other TOCs and adopt examples of best practice.
- Lead the Marketing & Revenue Growth team, maintaining a high-performance culture and ensuring direct reports deliver activity in line with the appropriate overarching strategy.
- Recruit, motivate, coach and develop direct reports, encouraging them to reach their full potential. Conduct regular performance reviews and introduce succession planning when appropriate.
- Encourage the integration of the Marketing & Revenue Growth team with other key departments within the business. To ensure high quality marketing activity is delivered on behalf of other departments wanting to engage passengers, effective marketing communications are delivered during major events and planned service disruption and passenger experience is improved through multiparty activity.
- Act as custodian of the Merseyrail brand identity.
- Enhance Merseyrail’s brand reputation through marketing, partnership and sponsorship activity.
- Build effective relationships and work in synergy with colleagues across the business to improve passenger experience and deliver revenue growth.
- Support the delivery of the train plan for high profile events such as the Grand National Festival and major city events.
- Support the delivery of the Customer Services Improvement Plan.
- Be an active and effective member of Merseyrail’s Senior Leadership Team, playing a part in taking the business forward and delivering exceptional standards.
- Work with the internal comms team to ensure there is alignment with internal and external communications.
- Demonstrate the vision and values of the organisation (genuine, professional, pro-active, inclusive).
- Responsibility for the consistent application of company procedures for the department.
Experience, specific knowledge & qualifications required:
- A degree or equivalent qualification relevant to the role.
- Proven experience of delivering successful marketing and digital marketing strategies.
- Experience of introducing new technologies and innovations.
- Understanding of the principles of revenue management.
- Commercially astute with strong budget management abilities.
- Experience of recruiting and managing agencies and freelancers.
- Confidence to make decisions at a senior level.
- Proven leadership and people management skills.
- The ability to communicate, influence and negotiate at all levels.
- Skilled at building effective relationships internally and externally across organisations, including stakeholder management.
- Experience of commissioning research and using insights to develop strategies and influence the business.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written, copy writing, numerical, oral and presentation skills.
General knowledge / understanding of:
- CRM Strategy.
- Destination Marketing.
- Media landscape in the Merseyside area.
- Event Management.
- Rail knowledge.
Key safety accountability
Safety is everyone’s responsibility within Merseyrail. You’re responsible for your safety and the safety of others such as colleague’s and passengers. As an employee you’re expected to understand and apply our safety values and ensure they are visible in all you do.
- Build trust and respect
- Consistent and honest
- Understands the customer
- Straight forward
How will I be measured?
- Shows a sincere and active interest in colleagues, customers and business initiatives
- Specifically works with customers and relevant organisations to enable effective self-regulation, identify any concerns and addresses these by building awareness and confidence
- Is able to see and challenge things from different perspectives
- Understands who and what drives the customers decision making progress
- Anticipates the possible reactions of others (both groups and individual’s) to differing messages and styles
- Is able to demonstrate a transparent and versatile approach, recognizing and adopting to cultural norms to influence others
- Solution orientated
- Delivering to promises
- Make things hassle free
How will I be measured?
- Establishes a course of action to accomplish a long-term goal or vision
- Continuously reviews personal and team performance ensuring optimum effectiveness within the business
- Continuously evaluates and reviews own progress against goals
- Delivers clear and concise messages / directives, using appropriate and available forms of communication
- Trust our people to deliver
- Embrace change
How will I be measured?
- Develops and implements budgets and business plans to meet strategic business objectives
- Allows team to challenge the norm
- Uses experience, creativity and intuitive processes to find potential solutions or alternatives that may not be easily identified
- Establishes own vision, demonstrating independence of mind and judgment
- Seizes opportunities to keep own ideas on the agenda
- Connected thinking
- Stakeholder management
- Promoting diversity
- Enabling our people to excel
How will I be measured?
- Identifies and engages with all relevant parties to get the job done
- Uses all available opportunities to build and strengthen a network, relationship or partnership
- Uses business related social occasions to extend a network or relationship
- Adapts communication and behavior to meet the needs of different audiences
- Identifies the skills and values people bring to the team
Benefits include Free Travel on Merseyrail and Abellio Rail Group Services (where reciprocal arrangements are in place) Discounted Travel on National Rail Services, Final Salary Pension Scheme, Company Health scheme.
NO AGENCIES - THANK YOU